Thursday, March 17, 2011

March MADness!!!

I grew up around sports.  I preferred watching football, hockey, and basketball on TV with my brother and dad, to shopping with my sisters and mom.  I played soccer and basketball all four years of high school. I played intramural volleyball in college.  The men my sisters married were very into playing and watching sports. It was just a given that I also would marry someone who liked sports, because it would be weird to even date someone who didn't. It was all I knew of how a man was supposed to be.  Then I met Mark...he was everything I wanted in a man - and he LOVED sports, especially basketball.  How perfect, right? Well yes, of course.  The only thing I didn't realize was how much he loved sports. When March rolls around, basketball is life, life is basketball.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am all about participating in March Madness Bracketology. As I type this, the channels are being switched back and forth between 4 games, and I could start today 3-1 (while Mark might be starting 0-4). I am in 4 different contests because it is competitive and it is fun! BUT, the terminology March MADNESS has a new meaning to me this year.  Before the tournament actually began, I thought I was going to go MAD.  You see, my husband does not just root for one college team.  He has his hometown team (Gonzaga Bulldogs), his childhood favorites (NC Tarheels), and now an interest in the local University of Buffalo Bulls. So, when he was not going to those games, he was watching other games, or talking about the games, or reading articles about the games, or watching ESPN highlights of the games, etc. You get the idea.  It was driving me crazy!!! I told him that he was the reason that I didn't even enjoy basketball anymore!  It was too much of a good thing.  (Of course, this is not really true, but I was being a woman and overly dramatic.)  The truth is, I was just missing him and his full attention.  Now that the tournament has begun, life is better.  We can spend time together watching games, talking trash, and snacking on food that we shouldn't really be eating (chips and dip, doritos, ice cream, pepsi, etc.)  I just have to keep reminding myself that I can only talk so much while the game is on - that is, if I want a response.  For example, I just asked Mark if he wanted to hear my latest blog post, his answer, "Sure! After this game..."  That pretty much sums up the MADNESS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment